Fire & Smoke Damage

Fire Damage Restoration

Fire Damage

Rhode Island

Common Causes Of House Fires And How To Prevent Them

May 04, 2023

When it comes to taking care of your Rhode Island home, it's easy to overlook that some simple day-to-day tasks can cause fire damage issues. Continue reading to learn what to be mindful of to prevent extensive restoration projects.

A house fire is probably the worst thing we can think of happening in our homes. They are incredibly destructive and dangerous, and after one occurs, it can take a long time to get your home and life back to normal. Knowing the causes of accidental fires and how to prevent them is essential.

Overstuffed Electrical Outlets

A lot of people do not realize that only so much electricity can come out of each wall outlet in their home. Even if you add extension cords for extra places to plug things in, there is still a limit to how much they can do at once. It is vital to make sure appliances are turned off or unplugged when not in use to prevent an electric circuit from shorting out and igniting a fire.


Candles are lovely in creating low light and sweet smells in our homes. However, it is essential to remember that candles are still an open flame and must be watched while lit. Always keep candles away from anything flammable or combustible and out of reach of children or pets. Candles need to be kept in places where they will not be bumped or knocked over. Never leave lit candles unattended, and do not go to bed with candles still burning in your house. It is also wise to keep the wicks trimmed to one-quarter of an inch so the flames stay smaller.

Cooking Fires

A lot of accidents happen in the kitchen. When you are frying, broiling, or grilling food, always stay in the kitchen. When you are baking anything in the oven, check it regularly, and do not leave your home until you are done. Keep anything that could catch on fire away from your stovetop. If a fire starts in your kitchen, knowing the best ways to put it out is crucial. Small grease fires cannot be put out with water—put a lid over the pan to smother it. If the inside of your oven catches on fire, turn it off and keep the door closed. If fires continue to grow, get everyone out of your house immediately and call 911. DO NOT try to put out fires on your own.

Heating Equipment

Unclean or damaged heating equipment in your home puts you at risk of having a house fire. Regularly cleaning your furnace and chimneys makes them less of a fire hazard. If you use space heaters, keep them away from anything flammable, and do not leave them turned on unattended. Some space heaters turn off automatically if they overheat as an extra precaution. Do not use fluid to light fires in fireplaces; always use a sturdy screen.

Fire Damage Restoration—Rhode Island

Hopefully, you never have to experience a house fire. Taking care to make your home as safe and fireproof as possible can do a lot to protect you and your family. If you do experience a fire and need restoration services, call Clean Rite Cleaning and Restoration to help you get your home and life back on track.

‹ Back to all posts